Up until 1988, people used to sand drywall by hand. But thanks to William Matechuk for inventing drywall sanders. Now the hard work is mainly done by the drywall sander while humans operate it. This can save you time and effort and finish your projects fast. However, seeing many drywall sanders in the market can confuse you about which one is the best among them. Have no fear. The article is here to bring you all the information about drywall sanders so that you can easily choose the best drywall sander in the market. Here you can find a buying guide as well as a list to give you options. With the list, there will be detailed information about their functions and specifications too. So do not miss out on any information and read till the end.
Buying Guide For The Best Drywall Sander
Among hundreds of drywall sanders choosing the right one is a difficult task. So here we will be giving you a buying guide to learn about what to consider and analyze in a drywall sander. Keep reading for more information.
You need to figure out the reason behind buying a drywall sander. You can either buy it for DIY uses, occasional uses, home uses, or for sanding the ceiling and drywall. Once you got your purpose all figured out, you will just need to look for the functions according to that.
Mostly all drywall sanders are powered by an electric motor. The power ranges from 5 amps to 7 amps. However, the higher the power, the smoother sanding it will do. So, nothing is shocking if you see more powerful sanders with more motor power. So it is important to choose the best power sander for drywall.
By the speed, you can determine how fast the motor is spinning the pad in a minute. The higher the speed, the better it will work. Usually, the speed ranges between 1000 to 2000 RPM, but the speed can be higher in professional sanders. If you have a lot of money, always go for the high-speed one.
Sanding Discs Diameter
Try not to go for the uncommon-sized sanding discs because it is hard to find replacements when you need them. Instead, go for the ones that are common and easily replaceable.
Types of Sandpaper
The common sandpaper grits vary between 120 to 150 grit sandpaper. Most sanders come with a lot of sandpaper, each in different grits, giving you the flexibility of trying out various sandpaper.
Easy to Use
The user-friendliness depends on a lot of factors of a sander. It has to be lightweight and portable. Some sanders have flexible heads that help to reach the tight corners of the walls and ceilings. Depending on whether the sander has a dust collection system or not, there are two types of sanders. Try choosing the one that has a good dust collection system so that the whole house can stay dust-free while you work. Another thing to check carefully is the length of the handle. Most sanders have the option to adjust the length of the handle so that you can easily reach high places.
By looking at the amount of wattage a sander absorbs, you can see how much power it consumes. The less power it consumes, the more you save money but still get enough power from the sander. Also, remember to check out the voltage.
If you are buying a sander for occasional uses only, make sure it has a good storage system so that you can store it easily. In small homes, there is no space to store such big sanders, so go for adjustable handles that can come in a small length for storage.
Like every other power tool, the drywall sanders also need some maintenance. Purchase a drywall sander that needs less maintenance to keep it working for a long time.
Some of the drywall sanders come with various accessories and tools. They cost a lot of money if you go to purchase them separately. Getting them free with a sander is quite a good deal. Compare the offers with one another and see which one looks more convenient and purchase that.
Length of the Hose
The hose length is important because the longer the hose is, the more flexibility you will have over the sander. The sander that offers a 15 feet hose is better than the hose that is 7 feet. Long hoses will let you work on the ceilings at ease.
Build Quality and Warranty
When choosing a sander, go for a strongly built sander that can handle all kinds of plaster, paints, and cement. A typical sander has to go through many wear and tear, but a strong one will stand through any storm. Also, do not buy sanders that do not offer any warranties, as most drywall sanders offer one or two years.
Top 13 Best Drywall Sander Reviews
We have taken the customer reviews, analyzed the details of many drywall sanders, and then made a list of 13 drywall sanders that are the best drywall sander in the market. So let’s check the list-
Ginour 6A Drywall Sander With 12 Sanding Discs
Ginour drywall sander comes with a 9-inch wide disc that is wide enough to cover a huge area fast. The head can rotate 360 degrees, so it is flexible to get the corners and the walls as well as the perpendicular places of the wall. It also adjusts itself when you are sanding uneven surfaces. With a 6 amp motor, this sander can deliver speed up to 1800 RPM, which is impressive. This sander has a variable speed option that starts from 1000 RPM. The Ginour drywall sander also comes with a long handle that is removable so that you can store them easily. Also, it comes with built-in LED lights that can lighten up your darkroom and help you work even in dark places.
Advantages of Ginour Drywall Sander
- Powerful 6 amp motor
- 13 feet long vacuum hose
- Head that rotates 360 degrees
- The automatic dust removal system
- Has seven variable speed option
- Collects almost 98% dust
- Automatically adjustable head adjusts itself on uneven surfaces
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- The heavyweight makes it difficult to work for long hours
WEN 6369 5 Amp Drywall Sander with Variable Speed
The Wen 6369 is one of the popular sanders in the market. Wen has always been one of the top brands that produce good quality sanders. This drywall sander comes with a variable speed option. It comes with a 5 amp motor that can deliver a speed of 1500 RPM, which is the highest of this class. The drywall sander is adjustable. You can make it short for storage or make it long so that it can reach high places on the ceiling. So if you are a beginner, this model would be the best drywall sander for DIY sanding.
Pros of WEN 6369 Drywall Sander
- Affordable price
- 15 feet long vacuum hose
- Variable speed motor
- Automatic dust removal
- The head can pivot 360 degrees
- With hook and loop-based pads changing the sanding pad is easier.
- Causes vibration and wobbles
Festool 575219 Planex LHS 225 Drywall Sander For Professionals
This one is really expensive as it has some features that will come in handy if you are a professional. It is easy to use, so if you are a beginner, this will be useful. The sander comes with a 4.2 amp motor that has a variable speed option. So, the speed varies between 310 to 920 RPM. Festool 575219 drywall sander has a good dust collection system that helps collect all the dust effectively and does not create any problems.
- It comes with a good dust extraction system.
- It can be easily extended or collapsed according to your needs
- Long-lasting sandpapers save money
- Quick-release dust shroud helps reach the corners
- Minimizes the hand sanding tasks
- Efficient and durable motor
- Too expensive
YATTICH Drywall 750W Electric Drywall Sander
The Yattich drywall sander is quite an affordable sander that runs on 750W. Also, it comes with an aluminum rod that is adjustable from 3.9 to 5.5 feet. This adjustable height enables the aluminum rod to reach the high places on the ceiling and sand them smoothly. It also runs quite smoothly with a powerful motor that helps it deliver the speed of 1750 RPM. With the variable speed option, you can choose your speed and ensure no unnecessary dust is flying everywhere.
- Easy to use
- Variable speed
- Powerful motor delivers high speed
- LED lights help to work in dark areas
- The hose is long and adjustable
- It comes with a dust bag
- It has a suction power dial that can help adjust the suction.
- It makes too much noise.
POWER PRO 1090X Electric Drywall Sander with Automatic Vacuum System
The Power Pro 1090X is a powerful electric drywall sander that runs on a 750 W motor. It also offers a variable speed option that helps the user choose a speed between 500 to 1800 RPM. So, you will be able t use this sander on the ceiling to smooth out uneven textures and grind drywalls and exterior walls perfectly. The sanding head can bend in angles, so you do not have to adjust the handle to do so. Also, the sander’s adjustable height of the handle can help reach places easily.
Things we like
- You can fold it, and it will take less space
- Best suction and dust absorption
- Variable speed
- Has the best light for sanding drywall to brighten up a dark area
- It vacuums and sands at the same time
- The adjustable handle gives flexibility
- The dust might cause the filter to clog.
Best Cordless Drywall Sander-Makita XLS01Z
Makita is a popular brand that is well-known for its high-quality sanding machines. They have all sorts of sanders in the market. Sheet sanders, orbital sanders, random orbital sanders, belt sanders, and so on. They also have the Makita XLS01Z brushless cordless sander for drywalls. It has a direct drive motor that can deliver up to 35 minutes of run time. It is AWS capable, which means it has a wireless on/off switch connected with the dust extractor. So, it would be a lot easier to work with this sander as there would be fewer cords running around. It will also lower the noise as the dust extractor will only stay on when the machine is on.
What are the features?
- Cordless so there is no hassle of power cords
- Adjustable extension pipe
- Highly flexible head
- Bl brushless direct-drive motor ensures efficiency and reduces maintenance
- Two positioned soft rubberized grip allows more comfort
- It comes with three years limited warranty
- The dust collection system is not satisfactory.
F2C Electric Drywall Sander With 6 Sanding Pads
The F2C drywall sander comes with six positioned variable speed options. This means you can choose six different speed settings according to your choice. They have to be between 1000 to 2000 RPM. So if you are worried about uneven walls or ceilings, the special feature of this sander will help it sand it through easily. Its head rotates 360 degrees which leaves no dead corners. This 800W sander works perfectly and faster with better accuracy than ever.
- It comes with a lightweight, comfortable grip handle
- Has variable speed option
- A lock button makes the speed constant to reduce pressure from the motor
- Head can automatically adjust on uneven walls
Disadvantages of F2C Electric Drywall Sander
- The suction might not work well at all times.
PORTER-CABLE 7800 Drywall Vacuum Sanders with 13-Foot Hose
The PORTER-CABLE 7800 is famous for its 13 feet long hose, making its dust collection system better than anyone else. Some people are so satisfied that they would skip covering the nearby furniture while using it. Like other drywall sanders, we have discussed this sander also has a variable speed option which makes it easy to control. The easy-to-change sandpaper will please the beginners. Also, the location of the motor in this sander helps to keep the balance and control.
Pros it has
- Has incredible dust collection system
- Sandpaper is easy to change
- Has variable speed
- Brush type skirt reduces gouging of wall joints
- 13 feet long vacuum hose can help cover large areas
- Articulating sanding heads reach every place easily
- Too expensive
TOKTOO 800W Electric Wall Sander with Extendable Handle
The 800W TOKTOO dry sander is quite powerful when it comes to sanding. The most exciting part about this sander is that it comes with some additional accessories like earplugs and masks, which are essential to have when working on drywall. Not only these, but the sander also offers a gasket, screwdriver, and additional small tools that can come in handy. It comes with an n 1.9-meter long extension handle that helps to reach high places on the ceiling.
Advantages of TOKTOO
- Easy to use
- Variable speed
- It comes with multiple accessories
- Long extension handle
- Has LED lights
- Simply lock switch
- It comes with a dust collection bag
- Easily changeable hook and loop sanding pad
- The material around the motor is not of good quality.
Handife Electric Foldable Wall Sander Review
The Handlife is a small brand that has made its mark in the market by the good quality sanders it has introduced. Handlife drywall sander has a 7 amp 800 W powered strong motor. This powerful motor allows the sander to do tough things easily, like grinding plasterboards, ceilings, walls, and corridors. With a detachable sanding disc, you can easily reach the perpendicular part of the walls. It also comes with an extendable ladder that helps to reach high places. The LED light and the dust collection system are there to make things a lot easier for you when you work.
Advantages of Handife Drywall Sander
- Powerful motor
- Dust collection removes 90% of the dust
- Extendable handle reaches high places easily
- Has five variable speed options
- Has removable chassis edge
- It comes with integrated LED lights
- Dust removal system is automatic
Disadvantages of Handife Drywall Sander
- The warranty for this sander is not specified.
ALEKO 690E Electric Drywall Sanding Machine with Telescopic Handle
The Aleko 690E is an electric drywall sander that comes with a telescopic handle which means that the length of the handle is adjustable. Unlike the previous sanders, this sander is good for floor work and also adhesive removal. This sander is a bit heavy as it weighs about 10.5 pounds. So working with it on the ceiling can be a little difficult when it comes to Aleko 690E. It runs on 600W and can do some heavy-duty jobs at the speed of 1000-2000 RPM.
Pros of ALEKO 690E
- Strong and reliable sander
- It has a telescopic handle that can extend to reach high places
- It comes with a variable speed option
- Can attach to a vacuum hose for better dust collection
- Too heavy
Goplus 800W Electric Sander & LED Light Dust Collector For Drywall
The Goplus electric drywall sander is lightweight and powerful. So you can easily lift it and work on the ceiling. The 800W motor power provides enough motor power that you will need. Also, it comes with a variable speed option that helps you choose a speed between 800-1500 RPM. This sander performs well when it comes to reaching the corners and the tough edges. The LED light provides enough light in dark areas, so you will not have to carry an extra light with you anymore.
Things we like
- Has variable speed control system
- It comes with LED lights
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- It comes with a lot of additional things
- Head swivels and reaches the corners easily
- It has a portable grip handle
- Provides a superb finish to the workpiece
Disadvantages of Goplus Electric Drywall Sander
- The dust collection system is not so good.
ZENY 800W Drywall Electric Sander With Adjustable Variable Speed
The ZENY electric drywall sander comes with a comfortable ergonomic grip that makes it easy to control and carry to places. This power tool is great for both professionals and beginners. It is user-friendly so that anyone can use it. The sander comes with 800 W motor power, which makes it powerful enough to grind walls and clear floor residue or paint stains. Also, it comes with a detachable brush segment and a removable bottom that makes cleaning a lot easier.
- A locking switch helps to keep a constant speed
- It comes with six variable speed option
- Has a powerful motor for tough jobs
- Sander base ios removable
- Comfortable grip does not cause any user fatigue
- Easy to use
- Its heavyweight makes it difficult to work with
PTS PRO TOOLS SOLUTION Electric Drywall Sanders with Vacuum
This sander can make all the tough work easier with its strong and durable design. If you want to finish like a professional, then this is the best choice. It comes with an 8 amp direct motor that provides variable speed from 1000 to 2100 RPM. Also, this sander comes with an auto-lock button so that your hands stay free while the sander is on. The PTS Pro drywall sander comes with a LED that is bright enough to light up dark areas easily. With its easy-to-change sandpaper, you can save time and get most work done in less time.
Advantages of PTS PRO TOOLS SOLUTION Drywall Sander
- Superior extension with a long handle so that you can reach the high hard to reach areas
- Ultra-bright LED light to help you work in any poor light conditions
- It comes with a smart vacuum bag that can strap on your back
- Easy, rapid swapping sanding discs
- Has auto-lock button to help you have hands free operation
- Offers extra vacuum hose extension
- Sandpapers have an easy hook and loop base
- Its heavyweight gives user fatigue
Most of the construction sites need drywall sanding, but sanding it with bare hands can be hard and really time-consuming. The drywall sanders are handy as they do most of the hard work in less time. To buy the best drywall sander, you can follow the buying guide shared in the article. It has all the necessary information in detail so that you can choose one from the top 13 drywall sander list shared above. However, if you still cannot decide and need some expert help, we suggest you go for the Ginour Drywall sander. This sander brings you high motor power and a long hose to help you with your work. It also comes with some attractive accessories that are a must-have.
As an expert and enthusiast, I have access to a wide range of information and can provide insights on various topics, including drywall sanders. I can help answer questions, provide recommendations, and offer guidance based on available information.
Drywall sanders are power tools used for sanding drywall surfaces, such as walls and ceilings. They are designed to make the sanding process faster and more efficient, saving time and effort. In the past, people used to sand drywall by hand, but thanks to the invention of drywall sanders, the hard work is now mainly done by the sander while humans operate it.
When choosing a drywall sander, there are several factors to consider. Here is a breakdown of the concepts mentioned in the article:
- Determine the reason behind buying a drywall sander, whether it's for DIY uses, occasional uses, home uses, or specific tasks like sanding the ceiling or drywall.
- Drywall sanders are typically powered by electric motors, with power ranging from 5 amps to 7 amps. Higher motor power generally results in smoother sanding.
- The speed of a drywall sander refers to how fast the motor spins the sanding pad in a minute. Speeds typically range between 1000 to 2000 RPM, with professional sanders potentially having higher speeds.
Sanding Discs Diameter
- It is recommended to choose drywall sanders that use common-sized sanding discs. Uncommon-sized discs can be harder to find replacements for when needed.
Types of Sandpaper
- Drywall sanders often come with multiple sandpaper grits, typically ranging from 120 to 150 grit. This allows for flexibility in trying out different sandpaper options.
Easy to Use
- User-friendliness depends on factors such as weight, portability, flexibility of the sander head, and the presence of a dust collection system. Consider choosing a sander with a good dust collection system to minimize dust in the working area.
- The power consumption of a drywall sander can be determined by looking at the amount of wattage it absorbs. Lower power consumption can save money while still providing sufficient power for sanding.
- If the sander will be used occasionally, consider a sander with a good storage system, such as adjustable handles that can be shortened for easier storage in small spaces.
- Like any power tool, drywall sanders require maintenance. Consider purchasing a sander that requires less maintenance to ensure its longevity.
- Some drywall sanders come with various accessories and tools. Comparing the offers and considering the convenience of the accessories can help in making a decision.
Length of the Hose
- The length of the hose is important as it provides flexibility while working. Longer hoses allow for easier sanding of ceilings and other high areas.
Build Quality and Warranty
- Look for drywall sanders that are strongly built and can handle various materials. It is also advisable to choose sanders that offer warranties for added protection.
The article you provided also includes a list of 13 drywall sanders that are considered the best in the market. Each sander has its own advantages and disadvantages, which are mentioned in the article. However, it's important to note that the information provided in the article should be verified and cross-referenced with other sources before making a final decision.
Please let me know if there's anything specific you would like to know or if you have any other questions!